There are three distinct phases in the evolution of the University. In the first phase (1887 to 1921), it was a centrally-funded Affiliating University exercising jurisdiction over higher and secondary education in a wide area in northern and central India, comprising the present-day States of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan and the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. In 1905 it initiated teaching and research under its ownaegis, by establishing the Departments of Law (1905), Economics (1908) History (1912), research fellowships, libraries and laboratories. The eminence of the faculty of its teaching Departments, the Muir Central College (the premier affiliate, founded in 1873 at Allahabad) and several other reputed Affiliated Colleges, earned high regard for the University within and outside India. Some of the Colleges themselves matured into Universities the Banaras Hindu University (1916), the Aligarh Muslim University (1920) and the Lucknow and Nagpur Universities (1920 and 1923). The second phase (1921-1950) began with the reorganization of the University as a provincially-funded unitary teaching University, comprising its own teaching Departments and the Departments of the Muir Central College (which was merged with the University). The other Affiliated Colleges were initially grouped under the External Wing of the University and then handed over (in 1927) to the newly-incorporated, University of Agra in 1927, and the responsibility for secondary education was transferred (in 1922) to the U. P Board of High School and Intermediate Education. In the ensuing three decades, under the stewardship of celebrated Vice-Chancellors (Sir Ganganatha Jha, Pt. Iqbal Narain Gurtu, Prof. Amaranatha Jha and Prof. Tara Chand) and the academic leadership of illustrious faculty, the University took determined steps to enlarge its intellectual and educational ambit and gave a lead in national emancipation. Several teachers and students played a prominent role in the national struggle, particularly from 1930, and the University solemnly recalls with pride the martyrdom of its student Lal Padmadhar Singh during the Quit India Movement. The third phase (from 1950) was pre-figured by the stirring address of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru to the Diamond Jubilee Convocation (1947) of the University, with a timeless invocation on the meaning and purpose of a University and the role the Universities had to play in ensuring the development and progress of India and the well-being of mankind. With the advent of Independence, the University gave priority to the rising expectations of the people for wider access to higher education and keeping pace with the world in higher education, took up concerns crucial to national and social reconstruction. The Seventieth Anniversary Celebrations (1957) were marked by the affirmation to concert intellectual resources for exploring new academic, educational and social horizons while conserving its classical heritage. The Centenary Celebrations (1987) provided the opportunity to reaffirm the goal 01 academic modernization predicated on social responsibility.